On 2017-01-14, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> Is there any evidence that xdg-mime/xdg-open will ever be safe?

Not bullet-proof but maybe safe enaugh to be used as default.

+1 in a properly configured system, the system-wide user preference will be
   honoured, no need to configure preferences for both, xdg and lyx.

-1 the "xdg-preference" may be worse than what LyX currently uses (at least
   for the moment this is a real problem).

> Right now I see two problems with it, one of which can be avoided. The
> original show-stopper was that it defaulted to opening files in the web
> browser if no default application was set. We can work around that by
> using xdg-mime to test whether a default is set in the MIME database.
> If yes, we can make xdg-open the file handler; if not, we can do what
> we currently do.

Or we can use the default returned by xdg-mime as first choice and keep
our list of fallbacks.

> The bigger problem, in my mind, is that xdg-mime sometimes finds a
> default application, but not the one actually used by the system. I
> mentioned this in an earlier message, after stumbling on it
> accidentally. I found xdg-open using a "stale" default from
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list when the correct default was
> set in ~/.config/mimeapps.list.
> In any case, unless my laptop is an outlier, there may be users out
> there for whom xdg-utils would select not the browser but some other
> incorrect (and, in one case on my laptop, not even installed)
> application.

This is one of the things that hopefully will settle over time.
Users/distros removing the stale files, maybe xdg-* excluding or
downgrading the stale files if the correct ones are present,
applications no longer using obsolete paths and properly cleaning up when
de-installed, ...

> Rather than waiting on xdg-utils to be fixed (if in fact Freedesktop
> even sees this as a bug -- I have no idea about that), should we look at
> gvfs-mime/gvfs-open (again with the stipulation that we first check
> whether a default application is set, and if not revert to our current
> practice)? It works on both my systems, but they're both running recent
> (albeit different) versions of Linux Mint. If we move in this direction,
> I think we should first ask devs with other Linux distributions to test
> it (which can be done with a simple shell script).

I had the impression that gvfs-mime is (or should be) superseded by
xdg-mime, so I would not propose to invest in this direction.

The MINT problem is now fixed with simpler changes.

> Incidentally, for people ill served by the configuration script, one way
> to reduce the pain would be to add something in the Tools >
> Preferences... dialogs that would allow the user, in one step, to set a
> new default viewer or editor for all file formats of a certain ilk (all
> PDF formats, all text formats, all image formats). Having to change the
> viewer for PDF (pdflatex) every time I reconfigure is mildly annoying;
> having to change it for multiple PDF formats after each reconfiguration
> is serious annoying.

Indeed, GUI support to change the viewer/editor "file-type wise" would be
a real advantage. The different sub-formats (pdf1...5 etc) are just an
internal way to specify the different export routes.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Günter