Le 15/02/2017 à 13:46, Guenter Milde a écrit :
On 2017-02-15, Guillaume Munch wrote:

[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 8bit --]

Le 15/02/2017 à 05:02, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:00:44AM +0100, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
On 03.01.2017 21:32, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 11:25:07AM +0100, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

How could I get a dot on an alpha by using the math function of
lyx? Or do I have to use a tex insert:

$\dot \alpha$

Instead of a tex insert (ERT), use a mathed inset (Ctrl-M, say) and
insert \dot \alpha there. This is converted to the right symbol(s) in
both, LyX and output document.

Click on the "frame decorations" icon in the math toolbar. See the
screenshot. Does that work for you?

This gives the same result.

In the LyX math preview (i.e. without instant preview), the "dot" looks
more like a small line. Do you agree or does it look correct to you?

Yes, Scott, in the instant preview it does look like a short line, but its
correct in the pdf output.

I tried to fix it, but it seems that in this part of the code we can't
really draw circles; we can only trick the user into thinking its a
little circle by drawing a short line. We could draw a polygon with many
sides (I guess this is how all circles are drawn on screens?). Is there
a program that outputs coordinates in the format required by the code in
src/mathed/MathSupport.cpp ?

Another interesting issue is that the math decorations do not zoom with
the font; (because)? if they did, our approximations would look pretty
rough I guess. I'm actually amazed with how well most of them work. I
never realized a problem before.

I have a series of patches (attached) that make the decoration thickness
increase with zoom, to improve the appearance on high-dpi. The
decorations do not look worse than without the added thickness. I have
not committed it yet because I have not found a way to keep it simple,
and there are still some issues. But you might like to try them.

For \dot in particular it looks like a square rather than a line.

Did you think about using Unicode and, e.g., the STIX fonts for mathed?
I know this is a major change but it should solve issues like scaling and
curved lines.

Harfbuzz has been providing access to the the math table of opentype
fonts since very recently, and even computes the glyph assemblies for
decorations. So in theory it is possible to implement variable-size
decorations with opentype fonts. See
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9014#comment:7. But that's a big project.

For the "frame decorators", one could explore the use of combining
characters - maybe there are issues with placement but α̇ or 𝛼̇ looks better
in mathed than the current "square dot".

Indeed, for standard-sized decorations, it would be simpler to implement.