On 04/15/2017 05:58 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
I would suggest 2 tabs in Document>Settings>User preamble, where the
"normal" preamble is the default and the "early" preamble gets a
documentation line telling about the specifics.

We should think about the right place, though: placing it before any
LaTeX command or after the \documentclass line?

I've had issues with (the order of) LyX loaded packages for a while and been thinking that a good way to go would be having a 'z value' for each and every of those that could be changed by user through layout files. Value 0 could be 'do not load at all' (yes, i know, there's 'provides package 1' trick). The packages should receive z values in, say, multiples of 10(0), so that there's enough space for shuffling and inserting of user desired ones. This should provide much more flexibility than having two preambles, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.
Your thoughts?