Am Sonntag, den 11.06.2017, 18:32 +0200 schrieb Enrico Forestieri:
> I don't think that listings is less advanced in code highlighting.
> The advantage of minted is that it is less sensitive to the encoding.
> All workarounds adopted for listings are not necessary for minted.
> I also like better the way a listing is typeset, but this is a
> personal preference. So, I would not qualify listings as less
> than minted. However, a label saying "Different code highlighting"
> is not any more informative than "Use minted".

In that case I think I'd prefer a combo box "Code highlighting package:
Listings|Minted" or somesuch. "Use minted" is one of these LaTeXisms we
want to avoid in the UI.

What happens if you check "Use minted" outside LaTeX BTW?

> > I also think this widget should be disabled if not all necessary
> > packages are installed.
>
> This is problematic, because we should check for installed python
> modules, which I don't think we currently do.

This can be added to configure.py, no?

> We could check whether
> the pygmentize command is available, but we cannot be sure it is
> called exactly that way. Indeed, minted provides a command for
> specifying it. You can do \renewcommand{\MintedPygmentize}{pygments}
> if the command to be called is pygments instead of pygmentize,
> for example. So we risk of gratuitously disabling a functionality.
>
> > And LyX should add the -shell-escape flag for
> > minted documents (but warn the user before issuing it).
>
> Hmm... I think you are opening a pandora's box. Maybe we could add
> a toolbar button for doing that, so that the user has to
> intentionally
> do something for getting the -shell-escape flag.

As I said, I propose that the user has to explicitly acknowledge a
warning message (with "Do not show again for this document" checkbox)
before the document is processed.

I find it much more dangerous to encourage the user to set the flag
generally, since this might bite him with other documents quite
horribly.

The problem of both these things is that users get an error message
they might not understand if they try minted.

Jürgen