Am 12.09.2017 um 09:19 schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net>:

> On 14.08.17, Stephan Witt wrote:

>>> Mind, that all icons in the toolbar work without external converter.
>
> Yes, OSx can convert SVG to preview-bitmaps.
> You can do this from the command line with "qlmanage"
> https://superuser.com/questions/134679/command-line-application-for-converting-svg-to-png-on-mac-os-x

The output is not useful.
It’s a png - but the original svg-image sits in the upper left corner of a big
A4- or Letter-PNG.

> Unfortunatly, this is not a good option for SVG graphics that should end up
> as vector in the PDF output.
> (And, if I remember right, converting to a bitmap is also supported by QT.)

Yes, that’s the way I’m trying to go. A small utility based on Qt to convert
SVG (or SVGZ) to PNG (or JPEG).

>>> The to-be-converted image is in spash.lyx. It may be a better to remove
>>> it from the document (unless the required converter can be bundled with
>>> LyX).
>
>> Yes, I see. That’s a difference indeed.
>
>> And no, there are much more icons in the user guide. I cannot imagine to
>> remove all these icons.
>
> True. However, errors when opening the UserGuide are less severe than errors
> with every start of LyX. If there is no way to ensure LyX comes with an SVG
> converter on Mac, removing the SVG icon from Splash.lyx is a stop-gap measure
> to prevent it opening as "unwelcome screen".
>
>> A more smart conversion process should be implemented
>> instead. Isn’t this a possible problem for LyX on Linux too?
>
> In Linux, it is the work of the packagers (creating a Debian LyX package,
> say) to ensure all requirements for proper working are met.
> In Debian, this is
>
> requires: ... libqt5svg5 (>=5.6.0~beta), ...
> suggests: ..., librsvg2-bin | inkscape, …

Suggest doesn't mean required…

> The above link lists some options for converting SVG to other formats.
> For SVG to PDF, we have
>
> inkscape (good but large)
>
> librsvg  (problem with many images on one side -- breaks the internal preview
>         -- maybe we can solve this with some librsvg setting?)
>
> svglib   pure Python, but requires ReportLab (not tested)
>         https://pypi.python.org/pypi/svglib/
>
> cairosvg based on the Cairo 2D graphics library;
>        known to work at least on Linux, OS X, and Windows;
>        requires Python 3
>        http://cairosvg.org/

Cairosvg is not usable on Mac - it uses the X11 raster device.

> I don't have a Mac, so I cannot test.

I see.

Stephan