Recent eye trouble made it difficult to read black text on a white-ish screen and I found myself exploring colour schemes with dark backgrounds. There are some examples on the LyX wiki at /Tips/ColorSchemes. White text against a blue background has proved helpful.

But there is no built-in way to invoke such schemes. The user should not be asked to change all the colour settings displayed at Tools > Preferences > Look & Feel > Colors, and copying from the wiki and pasting into preferences (which obviously is what I did) means ignoring the warning at the start of the preferences file,  "If you want to make your own modifications you should do them from inside LyX and save".

Could a drop-down list box with the names of schemes be added to the dialogue at Tools > Preferences > Look & Feel > Colors? I understand the reluctance to ship LyX with half-baked attempts, so the box would initially be populated only with the standard scheme that comes with LyX. But perhaps it could search the user's  ui folder for files with some standard extension like .scheme and add those to the list (after reconfiguring). The user would then be able to test them at a click (to the Apply button), tweak them as desired, and save them back to that folder. LyX itself wouldn't be responsible for such schemes but in time, given a facility like this allowing easy testing, tweaking and saving, a scheme might mature to the point where it could be considered for distribution with LyX. In particular, it would be good for LyX to ship with at least one dark background scheme.

Andrew

---