As a side-effect of something else I stumbled across these links to LyX 1999--2003 including a graphical tour of LyX, 1999. Last year (I think) a binary for LyX 0.10.7 was found and Jean-Marc mentioned in relation to that the material at http://www.lyx.org/misc/archaeology/.  I read there, "Goal: provide a single repository for information about LyX's evolution, enabling the archaeologist to examine changes to both its visual appearance and to its 'under the hood' machinery." Last updated, alas, in 2009. I wonder if these links should be added?

http://compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/www-user/news/archive.php3 (LyX Development News archive, 2000/02/17 -- 2003/03/03)

http://compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/www-user/news.php3 (LyX News 1999/02/01-- 2002/12/03; the earliest ref. here is to the release of LyX 1.0)

http://compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/www-user/about/lgt-1.0/lgt.html (A graphical tour of LyX, 1999/02/02. It looks very different. The menu bar has three items: File Options Help)

Andrew