On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > > And generally my feeling is that tho whole model of ftp-based
> distribution and
> > > mirroring of software is on decline, sites are slowly disapearing.
> >
> > What is it being replaced by? Torrents?
>
> I don't think so. Perhaps github-like services... P

I would suggest github-like services or bulk file storage sites (Dropbox,
Box, Mega, etc.).

Regarding github(-like) sites, I wonder how painful pushing releases to a
repository there (Github) would be.  From my simple experimentation, it was
rather straightforward and could likely be scripted.  I haven't played with
Gitlab's release mechanism; however, they also (claim to) have automatic
repository mirroring so one could setup an auto-updating repository mirror
and potentially mirror releases there.

- Joel