On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 09:32:24AM +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Friday, 23 February 2018 03.34.52 WET Joel Kulesza wrote:
> > Minor wording question here and on the website: is "down" potentially
> > confusing for a non-native English speaker?  Would "unavailable" be more
> > clear?
>
> In the case of (European) Portuguese the equivalent of down is the word that
> we use
> for those cases so it is not confusing. :-)
>
> OTHO I agree that "unavailable" is more correct since the problems come
> because the
> server is unavailable even if it is not down (e.g. a problem with the local
> network, ...).

Since we say "slow or down" isn't no movement an extreme case of "slow",
in which case we can just simplify the entire phrase to "slow"? Or does
"slow" imply strictly positive movement?

On a more serious note, I agree that "unavailable" is more clear, and
have changed it on the website.

> Now personally I understand the idea of down in a physical sense, when we
> shutdown a
> server the fans stop and it really seems as if a plane just landed. ;-)
>
> PS: Sorry for wasting everyone a few seconds reading this message. :-)

To get you back, I made you waste time with thinking about my above
proposal :)

Scott