Le 04/03/2018 à 17:22, Uwe Stöhr a écrit :
A fully functional LyX is impossible without Internet connection because missing LaTeX packages must be installed via Internet. There is no difference between TeXLive and MiKTeX in this respect.
(polemic:
 Let's look around, even in poor countries like Tajikistan Internet is no problem. I only know 2 countries where Internet access is still extremely difficult: Cuba and North Korea. TeXLive offers a DVD for those without Internet but how can you order this DVD without Internet? Also, will it really be delivered to you?)

That's not the point. I want to install my texlive and be sure that most documents will just work. Mind you, I can be in the train, plane, and getting install DVD in these places is surprisingly difficult.

So I install texlive with the medium size install and I trust that most documents will work unless I write in weird languages. Having to wait until I actually use LyX to decide what packages to install would be a recipe for failure.

I do not understand why LyX absolutely has to have a say on whether my installation is good enough. Taking care of users is nice. Assuming that they are stupid and we know better is not.