Am 04.03.2018 um 18:59 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:

So I install texlive with the medium size install

Sure, but to do this you need Internet access.

Having to wait until I actually use LyX to decide what packages to install would be a recipe for failure.

Again, the problem I had is not about updating LaTeX packages but about the package handling system. MiKTeX is just a distribution as TeXLive. Under Linux you also have different package handling systems for different distributions. I don't like to judge what system is better or not.

I do not understand why LyX absolutely has to have a say on whether my installation is good enough.

We need to install packages (hyphenation, language support, tipa, math, etc.) because we cannot know what features will be used by the user. This can only be done if the user has a working package handling system. As user I expect a working software and not that certain features don't work for reasons I don't understand. We cannot bother users with the system behind LyX. They want to click on View PDF and get a PDF. If not, they will look for alternatives and not invest some hours to learn how a LaTeX distribution works and how it is maintained. Not bothering users with internal details but to create a fully functional LyX is since its creation the intention of the LyX Windows installer.

regards Uwe