Am 07.03.2018 um 17:27 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:

I must admit that I haven't tested the "never" case for a long time.

I tested this now and the installer correctly respects the setting "never". So never means never. You don't get any updates nor packages if you really don't want this. Configuring LyX seems to do nothing because the "never" option prevents MiKTeX to install missing packages and thus to update its build system. However, the "never" settings is for users who know about packages and how they are handled.

regards Uwe