Am 11.03.2018 um 18:12 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I think that's what we're doing. The basic disagreement we have is that
I think adding a dialog will bring more benefit than harm.

And I made clear why I am opposed to this.
In the end it costs my spare time if something does not work. Users will contact me in this case. Therefore I focus on average users. It doesn't help me that they don't understand a dialog, press cancel and later screw up their MiKTeX. Yes, LyX is then not guilty but for the users this is not important - they cannot use LyX anymore.

>> Maybe less than 1 per 1000 users might
>> forbid a MiKTeX update and thus stop the installation of LyX because >> they think it could maybe make problem.
>
> Even if the user chooses to continue the installation, there is still > a benefit of the dialog in that they are more aware that MiKTeX was
> updated and in fact they chose for it to happen.

It is not, it only make things worse. Every dialog can cause confusions. You are only looking from your professional view and I failed to make this clear. Can't you see that the majority doesn't know what a package is? Most of my students and colleagues didn't know this but were able to write their master or Ph.D. thesis with LyX. Therefore giving users a choice they don't understand is a problem. What is if they deny to install LyX, continue using LyX 2.2.x and screw up their MiKTeX? Who has a chance to fix a broken package or similar? Those who know what a package is. These guys have the knowledge to forbid any update if they like to and the installer lets them do this. Average users would be lost with their screwed-up LaTeX. Therefore I made my decision.

I think you should respect that the guy who builds the installer and provides support in case of a problem with it has good reasons. We spoke about the topic, I red your arguments but stay with my decision. It is my spare time in case of problems so I am the one risking something. I thought about it a lot to be as safe as possible for most users.

I explained now in a dozen mails my decision. Feel free to add whatever you like in the release notes. Feel also free not to announce the Win installer officially or not to put it in ftp.lyx.org.

Let's end the debate. Please make your decision and let's focus in LyX 2.3.1.

thanks and regards
Uwe