On 15.03.2018 04:13, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:48:02AM +0000, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

Why don't you add a sentence or two to the release notes for the experienced
users that they can set in MiKTeX "never" to package updates. Experienced
users will understand this. That is the most suitable solution.

I think a dialog is more appropriate, because problems from upgrading
MiKTeX could affect anyone, not just experienced users.

I tend to agree. However, maybe the dialog should state only true things?

So, either it should come up only when the 'never' option isn't set (preferably), or indicate that

* MiKTeX will be updated (unless 'Install missing packages on-the-fly' is set to 'never')

I know, that makes things worse in one respect (complicating the dialog)...

Daniel