Am 23.03.2018 um 05:22 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I understand your argument. I disagree that adding a dialog would hurt
the vast majority more than it would help it

That is the fundamental disagreement.

It doesn't help if you ask users who knows what a package is, if they would understand such a dialog. My experience is that the majority of LyX users (under Windows of course) don't know this. My experience will not change the longer we discuss. People like my mother can and do use LyX. She would not understand what you want but she should be able to use LyX in future.

I am wondering why other developers don't have similar experiences as well. I mean, most users writing to our mailing lists know what a console is but most Windows users don't know this - because you never need it unless you are a developer. Concepts like a console, package, dependencies etc. are not used in Windows. This should not be an excuse not to use LyX under Windows.

regards Uwe