Am Samstag, 31. März 2018 00:25:00 CEST schrieb José Abílio Matos
<jama...@lyx.org>:
> On Friday, 30 March 2018 20.21.53 WEST Kornel Benko wrote:
> > And we should distinguish usage of python at configure and build time,
> > from
> > the use at lyx-run-time.
> >
> >         Kornel
>
> That is where I respectfully disagree. :-)
>
> What you are suggesting is equivalent to release a lyx version with the
> documentation file format that is smaller than the current file format.
> Although it does work we never do that, before the release we always update
> the documentation to the file format of the released version.

Hm, yes, sort of. But in contrast to a provided new lyx with new doc-version,
we do not provide a new python package together with lyx.

> The reason why I say this is similar to a blog that I read yesterday:
> "Is Python interpreted or compiled? Yes."
> https://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201803/is_python_interpreted_or_compiled_yes.
> html
>
> When we install the python file we create the pyc files, and those files are
> specific to a given python version. If the code is read with another
> version we need to regenerate those files again.

I was not aware of this. If a package is created by cmake, then the installed
does not contain any .pyc file. Why do we create .pyc in automake? I never
suffered under execution times of python in lyx.

> With python 3 those files place in a directory called __pycache__. BTW one
> of the changes of python 3.7 (that is now at version beta) is to have
> reproducible builds for pyc files:
> https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.7.html#hash-based-pycs
>
> BTW the extreme case where the same python version is required for both
> build and runtime would be if one python module was linked with lyx c++
> code (say a common library that allows to read and interface directly with
> lyx data structures).

True. We do not require it, and so our python sources should be OK with
respect to 2.7 and 3.3 version.

> The reason why I am being cautious is to have everyone understanding the
> implications of the move that I am proposing.
>
> Thank you Kornel for this thoughtful email exchange. :-)

Thank you too.

        Kornel