On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 03:13:47PM +0000, John Levon wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Amir Karger wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering about an order of magnitude. I was thinking the number
> > was probably in the low 1E5's, but that's a complete guess. It could be as
> > low as a couple thousand. Who knows?

Oops! I was actually going to say 1E4's.  100,000 is a lot.

> Do you really think so ? Here we have lyx installed for all undergrads to use,
> and I doubt we are unique (1.0.4 though !). I often see students using it
> and I must have introduced about 10 ex-MS-Worders *myself*.
>
> I can't imagine the number of users being so low ....

I didn't realize that people had
installed these things for all undergrads to use, I figured it was more
something that would get installed for 10 or 20 grad students in a
particular research group or something. Of course, even if you've introduced
ten people to it, that doesn't mean all the rest of the undergrads are using
it.

Obviously we just need to make LyX automatically send email to lyx.org
whenever someone opens up LyX for the first time (the same way we decide to
show the splash page). While we're at it, we could have LyX look through the
person's address book and email all their friends with an advertisement to
use the program!

-Amir