On 19/05/2018 5:12 a.m., Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 05/18/2018 11:16 AM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 05/18/2018 04:32 AM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
On 18/05/2018 11:27 a.m., Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
I've fixed the problems reported by people who've tried the new
installers. The question is how now to proceed. Note that these are
questions for 2.3.0 (and probably 2.3.1, since I will turn my attention
to that once this issue is resolved). Larger questions about how to
proceed with the Windows installer can be deferred to 2.3.2 if not
2.4.0.

It's my hope that we can find someone to take over building the
installer, etc, before too long. I'm happy to do it for a bit....

So, questions.

1) Should we include any form of the 'update MiKTeX' code, with a dialog
asking for permission to perform the update, or should we not do so?

2) Should we try to get wider testing of these new packages by
advertising the putatively final version on the users' list before doing
an official release?

I have no strong opinion about (1), though I don't think it would be too
difficult to include such a dialog. I gather that the risk is that
updating LyX itself could trigger a partial update (due to packages
being installed at compilation time) that will break MiKTeX. As Pavel
said, the people this might affect seem to be only folks who did some
kind of update between October and January, but who knows. The main
issue would be getting translations of the message in the dialog. I
guess I could write to the relevant folks and ask for quick responses.
There's also Google, if all else fails. I suppose another option would
be for me to contact the MiKTeX maintainer and see what they think.

Regarding (2), I guess I am a bit nervous about these installers, since
I have no idea what I'm doing, and we didn't get THAT much feedback from
my previous messages.

Riki
I've run LyX-230-Installer-103.exe. It has installed and from a very
first glance, LyX is displaying a couple of complex documents
correctly. The only obvious thing at this stage is that the LyX icon
(an irregular LyX in large blue type) is missing and a generic windows
program icon has taken its place (see attached).
I noticed that, but didn't realize what it was. I'll try to figure out
what's wrong.
By the way, do you know how to figure out where Windows is trying to
find the icon? I've presumably changed something unknowingly about where
it's being put.

Riki
I don't know where it hides although I see that the icon is attached to pdfview.exe in LyX 2.3/bin and to Uninstall-LyX.exe. (I notice there is lyx.png and lyx.svg in LyX 2.2/Resources/images but only lyx.png in LyX 2.3/Resources/images.)

The windows generic icons are at %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll (on right clicking on a shortcut, choosing properties and then Change Icon).

Andrew

---