Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:

> >> No, they do not. If they deny, then NOTHING HAPPENS.
> >
> > Damn, that is not true!
>
> I am saying something very simple, and it clearly is true, so please
> read this carefully.

As far as I could understand Uwe's point, "something happens if MiKTeX is not
updated",
so in his view canceling initial dialog is breaking existing install (due to
future's
internal MiKTeX update), though technically nothing will happen from LyX
installer side.

The breaking point really is his insistance that users shouldn't know what
LaTeX means
and therefore no initial dialog being possible.

In no way I do belive that it's possible to reasonably work with LyX without
knowing
anything about LaTeX, since one will be done in the first compilation error or
when
tweaking something in output is necessary (how many of your documents ended
without
single ERT or document header? -- just look at flagship manuals.).
Thus I also do not agree that we should sacrifice users who know what MiKTeX to
those
who do not, because these will never make majority of our users.

It's kind of new philosophy, that anyone who knows what 'LaTeX' means should be
considered 5% 'expert' minority in LyX userbase and should be treated at the
expense of those who know do not know.
Nevertheles I agree with Uwe that in a normal world users indeed do not care
about
software internals and let develepers to 'serve' them. What was somehow missing
in that picture was that in normal world this is not religious service but it
it
brings back the profit which in turn allows the developers to spend full-time
fix all the user troubles.

Our model is different - we survive not through money but through flow of
users who might later become devs in their spare time. In such case it's kind
of suicidal
for LyX itself to change the philosophy and treat them as a second class
citizens, really.

Triggering unconfirmed setup updates in their software install is something
which
advanced users indeed can fix but but it can be huge PITA when they are in the
middle
of production work, can make them quite angry and decent software should not do
it.

As mentioned earlier Windows 10 indeed did forced updates, what was not somehow
mentioned was the following uproar in the community, millions dolar lawsuits and
finally Microsoft pledges that they won't do it again.

To sum up no one believes that forced upgrades is a good thing to do (including
the cited Windows case or even the MiKTeX developer).
If Uwe can't make any compromise and make small courtesy for more advanced users
in the initial dialog then it seems better to me to use less advanced installer
which Riki tries to build now and put it as the official one on the web.

Pavel