hawk> But if I'm understanding things properly, currently a student
hawk> would have todownload and install cygnus, download and configure
hawk> an xserver, download xforms, and then compile lyx . . . or am I
hawk> missing something going through the pages?

All this can be made into nice packages with the cygnus installer. So
one can imagine to reduce the requirements to downloading three files
(cygnus, xserver, lyx-xforms) and double click on them to actually
install (I do not count latex and ghostscript here, since you will
have to install them anyway). Assuming we make them available from the
same place, this does not seem completely horrible. Also you do not
have to build LyX, binaries are provided.