On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:28:06PM +0000, Stefan Weigert wrote:
> Dear Lyx team
>
> I'm using Lyx with great pleasure for many years now and look forward to
> each update with great anticipation as it gets better and better. Thank you
> for the enormous efforts you continue put into it.
>
> This email is just to comment on the unusual situation of not being able to
> use the most recent vs. 2.3 on Windows.
>
> After reading up a bit on various forums I understand that there is some
> conceptual problem which you guys are trying to solve - and I hope you'll be
> able to do soon. I am probably not the only one exporting my Linux 2.3 lyx
> files repeatedly to 2.2.3 for a collaborator using Lyx on Windows - this
> works but is awkward.
>
> I thinkthat  the average user - like myself - would greatly appreciate an
> explanatory message on the Lyx homepage why there is no Windows version
> available (a bit more than "unfortunately" - half a sentence would be fine,
> I think). I am a bit worried that you might loose some windows users if the
> situation remains unexplained. It would be even nicer if there was a link to
> a version I could install at my own risk, or be told about some workaround
> if one existed... :-)
>
> Anyway, keep up the good work!

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your thoughtful email, and for your interest. I think you
are right that we should have put at least more of an explanation on the
website. The good news is that we are closer to an official Windows
installer. I'd be curious what other developers and users suggest, but I
wonder if it would make sense to put something like "A Windows installer
for 2.3.0 is coming soon! We plan to have an installer available for
testing within 2 weeks." Note that the "2 weeks" in the previous
sentence is just an example.

Best,

Scott