Am 19.06.2018 um 19:48 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:

> Both S-h and S-H work for me (i.e., I can insert \widehat and \hat is
> not masked). So to summarize:
>
> For Stephan, the following has correct behavior:
>
>  \bind "M-m h" "math-insert \\hat"
>  \bind "M-m S-h" "math-insert \\widehat“

Yes, this works for me.

> but this does not have correct behavior:
>
>  \bind "M-m h" "math-insert \\hat"
>  \bind "M-m S-H" "math-insert \\widehat“

No, this works for me too.

 \bind "M-m H" "math-insert \\hat"
 \bind "M-m S-H" "math-insert \\widehat“

And this works for me too.

> And for Kornel, neither one of the above pairs of bindings has correct
> behavior. Stephan and Kornel, can you confirm?
>
> For me, both have correct behavior.
>
> Note that by correct behavior, I mean that you can insert both \hat and
> \widehat with the bindings.

Yes, both combinations work and insert \hat resp. \widehat.

To be more precise I have to explain how the modifiers are interpreted on a Mac
-
there are eight modifier keys on a Macbook-keyboard. From left to right:

Shift - (left shift to reach the upper level (xev output: Shift_L, keycode 64)
Function - to reach the special functions next to F1 .. F12 - not used (no xev
output)
Control - (left) control (xev output: Control_L, keycode 67)
Option - (or Alternative) left option key (xev output: Mode_switch, keycode 66)
Command - left command key (xev output: Meta_L, keycode 63)
Space bar
Command - right command key (xev output: Meta_R, keycode 71)
Option - (or Alternative) right option key (xev output: Mode_switch, keycode 69)
Shift - (right shift to reach the upper level (xev output: Shift_R, keycode 68)

The left and right variants of the Shift, Option and Command modifiers are
interpreted like-wise and there is no difference between them - at least Mac
apps.

Usually we have the Command-modifier bound to the C-modifier of bind file and
the Control-modifier to the M-modifier of bind file. The Option-modifier should
be the A-modifier and is not used intentionally because most key combinations
with Option-modifier are mapped to special symbols like @ € µ º å and so on.
The users expect them to work as in other applications to insert non-ascii
letters.

The mapping of the Command- and Control-modifiers can be made like non-Mac users
are used to - this is a boolean preference option. LyX is shipped with Mac
defaults.

Obviously the literal letter keys are not case sensitive in bind file. I think
this
is because the output of keypress on „H“ is a lower case „h“ and the combination
of „Shift“ + „H“ gives you upper case „H“ - there is no key named „h“ (at least
on
my keyboard :)

Stephan