In the attached file, the LyX display shows that the lowercase "a" is
bold (see my screenshot), although it is not (as shown if you dissolve
the notes). Inside the note, the display changes when e.g. doing
"emphasize", but I cannot seem to write text that is displayed as
unbolded.

I can reproduce this back to 2.1.0. I have a feeling that this issue is
known, but I could not find the trac ticket. I looked through the bugs
in the components "font" and "insettext".

Can someone else reproduce? Is this a known issue or should I start a
new ticket?

Scott