On 28/10/2018 10:33 a.m., Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 10/27/18 3:04 PM, Daniel wrote:
On 27/10/2018 19:50, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 10/27/18 1:45 PM, Daniel wrote:
On 27/10/2018 19:19, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
Now that the server has been moved successfully, we can turn our
attention back to LyX 2.3.2. Please let me know by Monday if there are
any patches that might change strings that need to go to 2.3.2. The
plan
otherwise is to freeze strings Tuesday and send email to the
translators
that day.

Riki
Since I am able to build on Win10, I'd be happy to test there. Just
let me know what git command to use in order get the right version.

The source we release will be the then-current state of 2.3.x, with
minor changes (such as the version displayed in About LyX.) So if you're
currently using 2.3.x, then you are testing what will be 2.3.2. If
you're not doing that but could, it would be extremely helpful.

I'm still meaning to try to release "weeklies" or something of the sort
for Windows, so people can more easily use 2.3.x and help us test it. Am
I right that we could basically just release the binaries and people
could replace their current 2.3.1 binary (say) with the new one? It
seems like a hassle to have to go through the whole installation process
again if one is going to be doing this regularly.

Riki
I'd rather create a 2.3.x binary and place it in my current LyX 2.3
directory than run git on 2.3.x. Changing between master and 2.3.x is
kind of a hassle because it needs a complete rebuild.
If disk space is not an issue, you can have multiple directories all
containing git checkouts. I have:

lyx-devel
lyx-pristine
lyx-stable

The pristine one is what I install from locally. I use devel and stable
for coding.

Speaking of which: Have you tried to create a LyX 'package' from your
builds? There is a "make package" command available under cmake, but I
don't know if it works on Windows. I've got no idea, really, how Uwe did
this.

Weeklies sound good. Rather than replacing the current binary they
could also have another name. So both stable and weekly could
co-exist. Alternatively, there could be a "Weekly" self contained one
time installation and then replacing the binary there so the stable
directory stays untouched.
I'll keep thinking about this.

Riki
Peter Kümmel's "bleeding-edge lyx" (in the days of 2.1.x) worked by overwriting (drag and drop) the bin and Resources directories with the new ones. https://github.com/syntheticpp/LyX-bleeding-edge. I used it a couple of times to test new features in master on windows. I had some problems with format numbers but that wouldn't be a problem with updates of stable. https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg193447.html

Andrew

---