On 08/11/2018 04:42, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 04:53:16PM -1000, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Indeed, it seems to me that adding the subscript automatically is a bit too
much. Not everybody wants it, after all. For some reason it doesn't work like
overset. I am not sure that we should hide these differences in LyX.

Makes sense.

I take it that in the vast majority of cases you want underbrace with subscript. And it took me a while at the beginning to figure out how it works in LyX. I played around with underset etc. before realising that the subscript works. Knowing that from the start is tricky. And removing the subsript is very[1] simple: just move the cursor out of it. So I am still in favor of adding the subscript by default and moving the cursor into it.

[1] I am wondering why a subscript is not just "unsubscripted" when backspace is pressed at the beginning of it. Maybe this is by design but I fail to see its virtues. However, one thing I noticed is that the cursor does not move to the end of a base but to its beginning when moving to the left from the beginning of a superscript. I am not sure why that is intuitive either so I suggest to change this which makes the previous suggestion consistent.

Daniel