On Saturday, 3 November 2018 18.39.51 WET Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> It would be nice to put a guideline into Development.lyx on how to
> proceed with these types of discussions. For example, I think Qt 4.8 has
> not been supported for a couple of years now, but we have not moved to
> requiring Qt 5, and it seems we are planning to keep Qt 5 support also
> for 2.4 [1]. Of course, the decision will always depend on the "cost" of
> preserving support for the older version (of Qt or Python), but it would
> be nice to have a guideline, in my opinion.
>
> Perhaps we would have different guidelines for Qt than for Python. For
> example, although Qt 5 has been around for a while now, LyX with Qt 5
> versions before 5.5 do not work well. My guess is that the situation is
> better with "old" Python 3 versions.
>
> Scott
>

> [1] https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2277

The issue why python 3 is special (even in the context of python) is that the
development of python 3 started in parallel with python 2.7. That did not
happened with qt4 and qt5.

Python 3.5 was released in 2015 (September 13). Probably at the time of the
release of the next lyx version it will be around 4 years old by that time. In
that sense it counts as an old python version. :-)

All the hiccups with the transition from python 2 were almost fixed by python
3.3, and are (in a sense) completely over after 3.5. This happened since new
python versions have evolved in order to improve the transition from python 2.
In some cases even reverting design decisions made earlier.

The semester is mostly over in case your wonder why I have revived this issue
now. :-)
--
José Abílio