> On May 1, 2019, at 3:15 AM, list_em...@icloud.com wrote:
>
> I once again find that reverse search using Skim and LyX on macOS doesn’t
> work. LyX 2.3.2, Skim 1.4.40. Forward search works but when reverse search is
> attempted, LyX moves to the front but does not move the cursor and does not
> scroll the window contents.
>
> I don’t remember when this last worked but it was on the order of weeks ago.
> I don’t remember when I updated LyX to 2.3.2.
>
> LyX is at /Applications/Lyx.app
>
> Skim is at /Applications/PDF_Viewers/Skim.app
>
> I have read and re-read the list thread from March 14, 2018, and the wiki at
> https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/SyncTeX. I’m stumped. This was working not long ago
> and nothing has changed to my knowledge. However, I did notice that
>
> Document > Settings > Formats > check Synchronize with output
>
> somehow got checked off. Dunno how. No clue. Same document.
>
> So here are my settings, stepping through the wiki steps:
>

> Setting up LyX
>
>    • In Document > Settings > Formats, check Synchronize with output [DONE]
>
>    • If your viewer needs another output format than \synctex=-1 (which is
> the default), select it or insert it in "Custom Macro” [BLANK—THIS IS THE
> DEFAULT I GUESS]
>
>    • Modify Preferences > Output > General > PDF command for your PDF viewer
> (see the viewer-specific notes below)
>

> Skim
>
> In LyX,
>
>    • LyX > Preferences > Output > General > PDF command:
> /Applications/PDF_Viewers/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline $$n $$o
> $$t [DONE AS INDICATED HERE]
>
> In Skim:
>
>    • Skim PDF-TeX Sync setting: Custom [DONE]
>
>    • command: /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS/lyxeditor [DONE]
>
>    • arguments: "%file" %line; /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "LyX"
> to activate'
> [DONE]

I found the problem—it was a broken LyX pipe or something like that. (I don’t
understand this well.) I discovered that when LyX quit it was leaving
.lyxpipe.in and .lyxpipe.out and the LyX wiki says that these should be deleted
when LyX quit.

How did I figure this out? I was using BibDesk (Mac GUI for BibTeX) and the
“Send to LyX” command. It failed with a very specific error dialog about the
LyX pipe. So I figured that Skim must do something similar.

Is it possible to have LyX also provide a helpful error dialog when there are
pipe problems instead of just failing quietly?

Jerry