On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:43 AM Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 07:50:55PM -0600, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> > Thanks for putting these together so quickly.  Some comments:
> >
> >    1.  p1: The notation seems inconsistent, referring to both citations
> and
> >    references.  From what I understand, I would refer strictly to
> citations
> >    (perhaps preceded by bibliography, to help orient a reader).
>
> I tried to disentangle little bit, see below.
>
> >    2. p1: I believe that when a citation key cannot be found, the key is
> >    given.  Could this be provided to the user to help him/her better
> locate
> >    the issue?
>
> Looks little bit difficult within the current machinery (if I understand
> it correctly). Cits can be fixed by incremental runs and we see that in
> updated result value of scanres of LaTeX::run, i.e. if fixed it does not
> contain UNDEF_CIT anymore.
> The accompanying structure of errors "terr" does not get reset, so once
> you push there some info about missing citation it's not going away.
> At the end if you by re-runing fix citation problem but there still remain
> some other problem user will wrongly see it within the list of errors...
>
> I actually do not understand why not reseting "ter" before each run.
> Seems reasonable to me, but it's hard to test without having examples
> which produced all the trickery in the code.
> Otherwise we could just grep in scanLog for the label/citation name
> and push it to the error dialog.
>
> >    3. p2: Perhaps "undefined cross-references"?  Same comment about
> echoing
> >    the key that is incorrectly cross-referenced?
>
> We are getting this error from LaTeX and it says "reference" in both cases
> when cit or cross-ref is missing (and maybe in some different cases I do
> not
> know yet). So I kept it intentionally vague, I changed what we grep for so
> it's
> hopefully better now.

I understand.

> > To your concern about being too aggressive: this is potentially an issue.
> > However, while I find it a nuisance when I insert a bibliography, haven't
> > yet inserted citations, and have to dismiss the errors and "show
> anyway," I
> > prefer that situation to silent failures that I *don't* expect.  The same
> > applies here.
>
> Why I am not particularly confident about the reference part is that some
> packages like hyperref might be doing some business with references in
> backgrounds (for building ToC or similar) and would flush similar warnings
> which are actually harmless in final pdf -- but we will bombard users with
> error dialog all the time.
> We can try to push to master and wait how much will people scream...

If when this is pushed, I'll try to pull and compile some documents that I
suspect will act as good tests.  I'm reluctant to now with the patch as
it's evolving.

> > Do you have any thoughts on coloring the buttons in the GUI to indicate
> > breakage?
>
> Not enough visibile IMHO, and our current approach seem to be good enough.

Alone, I agree.  However, I'd like to see this as a way to help someone
track down which citation is a problem as they're working with the
document.