On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 06:37:43PM +0100, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 06.02.2020 um 15:58 schrieb Enrico Forestieri <for...@lyx.org>:

> >> I can confirm it with Qt5 now.
> >> Bisect leads to:
> >>
> >> commit a2d181905a95b3bb983dac60f3d9603413a01f34
> >> Author: Enrico Forestieri <for...@lyx.org>
> >> Date:   Tue Jun 25 22:23:51 2019 +0200
> >>
> >>    Fix bug #11586
> >>
> >>    Do not replace a latex command with the corresponding symbol
> >>    in the unicodesymbols file unless it can be encoded in the
> >>    document encoding.
> >
> > That commit simply exposes the bug, which is the fact that the buffer
> > member is not initialized. I think the patch by Stephan is correct.
>
> That leads me to the question if there are more occurrences of this problem.
>
> E.g. with 2.3.x in InsetMathMacro::attachArguments() the line
>
> d->expanded_ = MathData();
>
> could be better
>
> d->expanded_ = MathData(d->definition_.buffer());
>
> But in fact I don’t know if it is that simple pattern.

Uninitialized buffer members have been a plague in mathed in the past.
You will see a lot of code like "buf && buf->something" to account for that.
Sometimes not having a properly initialized buffer member can be
irrelevant and sometimes not.

Nowadays I think it was spent some effort for properly initializing
(and also updating when copy/pasting) the buffer pointer, so it makes
sense to discover those (now presumably) corner cases and act on them,
rather than adding the check for a null member.

However, I would act only when we are sure it is an issue, rather than
indiscriminately trying to initialize everything. In the particular
case you report it may be that this initialization is performed later
(note that I did not check, so I cannot be sure).

I would follow the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

--
Enrico