On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:09:42PM +0100, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:44:09 +0100
> schrieb Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org>:
>
> > > Nice! Can we add "Qt version" to the CMake output? In case it is
> > > helpful, here are my current outputs for master with CMake and with
> > > autotools:
> > >

> > The QT-version and 'LyX files dir' is also at Help->About->Version. Why
> > should it go
> > here too?
> >
> >     Kornel
>
> OK, the 'LyX files dir' and 'LyX binary dir' are referencing paths in the
> (later)
> installed version. So this is different to actual used sysdir and lyx-exe.
>
> But the qt-version (installed +compiled) is already there.
>
>       Kornel

The Qt version is related to compile information so I think it makes
sense to put it there. It's also helpful for bug reports. At least for
people comfortable with the command line, it is easier to do
<<lyx --version>> than to do the steps for the GUI. A couple of data
points on other programs that give information on dependency versions:

$ copyq --version
CopyQ Clipboard Manager v3.9.3
Qt: 5.12.4
Compiler: GCC
Arch: x86_64-little_endian-lp64
OS: Ubuntu 19.10
$

My MUA, NeoMutt does not depend on Qt, but it does include information e.g.,
ncurses:

$ mutt -v
NeoMutt 20191207-76-0b9198
Copyright (C) 1996-2016 Michael R. Elkins and others.
NeoMutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'neomutt -vv'.
NeoMutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type 'neomutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 5.3.0-42-generic (x86_64)
ncurses: ncurses 6.1.20190803 (compiled with 6.1.20190803)
libidn: 1.33 (compiled with 1.33)
libnotmuch: 5.2.0
hcache backends: tokyocabinet

Configure options: --ssl --sasl --enable-notmuch --enable-debug --tokyocabinet
--prefix=/usr/local

Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -std=c99 -D_ALL_SOURCE=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE=1
-D__EXTENSIONS__ -I/usr/local/include -DNCURSES_WIDECHAR
$

Not all programs give such detailed information (e.g., Firefox). But
from what I see, when a program does list information on compilation, it
is common to give the versions of the important libraries it depends on.

That said, I don't have too strong of an opinion on this, so feel free
to skip.

Scott