Peter -- if you're not on the list, I sent a huge response to your mail, but
forgot to attach my version of the reLyX'ed file.

As I mentioned, I get this by changing you \centering to \begin{center} and
\end{center}, and then running

    reLyX -f -c article -r "frontmatter,keyword" a.ltx

(Using amsart instead of article, the \address gets translated, too.)

Let me know if you have other specific problems, or if you find a Perl geek
willing to work on reLyX!

-Amir
#This file was created by <karger> Mon Apr  2 11:57:11 2001
#LyX 1.0 (C) 1995-1999 Matthias Ettrich and the LyX Team
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\newcommand{\expect}[1]{\mbox{$\left\langle {#1} \right\rangle$}}

\end_preamble

\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash begin{frontmatter}
\latex default

\layout Title

Example
\layout Author

P.
 D.
 Drummond
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash address{{Department of Physics, University of
\newline
Queensland, QLD 4072, Brisbane, Australia}}
\latex default

\layout Abstract

This example is a typical Latex file which ReLyx won't import!
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash begin{keyword}
\latex default
 Lyx
\latex latex

\backslash sep
\latex default
ReLyx
\latex latex

\backslash
\newline

\latex default

\latex latex

\backslash end{keyword}
\latex default

\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash end{frontmatter}
\latex default

\layout Section

Introduction
\layout Standard

\begin_inset LatexCommand \label{INTRO}

\end_inset

\layout Standard

One of the oldest problems in Latex is how to maintain compatibility between
 the latex that is used `in the wild' and the latex that is used by Wysiwig
 editors like Lyx.
\layout Standard

\begin_float fig

\layout Standard

\align center

\latex latex

\backslash resizebox*{10cm}{!}{
\latex default

\begin_inset Figure
file vary.eps
flags 9

\end_inset

\latex latex
}
\latex default

\layout Caption

\begin_inset Formula \( Var(Y)=\expect{(Y-\bar{Y})^{2}}\)
\end_inset

: differences between wild latex and Lyx.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset LatexCommand \label{yfig}

\end_inset

\end_float

\layout Standard

See Fig (
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{yfig}

\end_inset

) for a comparison that shows growth in the statistical variance of files
 after multiple import/export, as a function of time in years, using several
 different sample files.
\the_end