On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 08:01:04PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 07:23:09PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > commit 48b1e8a0aca2f3f3faa8f1f800568e47792ba9a0
> > Author: Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org>
> > Date:   Fri Aug 14 19:46:13 2020 +0200
> >
> >     New attempt on #9906: allow following hyperlinks via context menu.
> >
> >     Now safer version with the help of Qt.
>
> As a somewhat related issue I have very rough code (i.e. intended for my
> private patchset) which allows viewing papers cited in the document via
> the context menu of citation inset.
>
> ATM it is really shaped for my needs but I am curious how far I am
> from getting something along those lines (see attachment) to the upstream...
>
> What it essentially does is that:
> 1. Adds context menu item for citation to read the paper
> 2. Once triggered, first author's name and year is handed over
>    to external shell script, which is capable to find the most
>    appropriate pdfs on my drive and launches pdfviewer on them.
>
> Now, while this mostly satisfies my needs its way too peculiar for master.
> Namely it heavily relies on the fact that I have all my bibliography
> localy stored in way that name+year is easy searchable (though not always
> unique).
>
> It would not be terribly hard to extend the patch, so the functionality
> actually is:
> 1. For given reference find
> - path+filename of pdf if stored in bibliographic database & launch pdf viewer
> - if not found then URL to the paper & launch browser
> - if not found then give name + year to user-defined script (essentially my
> hack above)
>
> It could be enhanced by listing all possible targets in contex menu
> (because citation might include more papers and each one might have more
> pdf's).
>
> How much opposition would be to commit something like this?

(moving conversation to lyx-devel)

I like that idea a lot and would personally find it helpful. Here is a
related request, although not many extra details:

https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mid&q=CAO7dr0jWBgOY8_ozNBQo4FuQpyFZACr1oQ8xzCs%2BnMNS-1Qt8Q%40mail.gmail.com

I like your idea of using a script as a translation layer. Indeed, it
seems difficult to make the script general enough that it works for
other setups but user-friendly enough that non-scripters can figure it
out.

If you are motivated, after collecting ideas on lyx-devel you might also
want to check on lyx-users. They might have some good ideas for the
interface.

Thanks for considering to try to upstream this (although I recognize it
might be complicated). I've wanted this feature for a while!

Scott