On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 11:04:00PM -0600, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 10:27 PM Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
> > I've been using the new find bar in master and it's great! Thank you
> > Jürgen for the nice feature.
> >
> > Is there any interest in enabling the "wrap" checkbox for find as default?
> > I have no idea what most users prefer. I could make a poll on the lyx-users
> > list if there is interest in considering it.
> >

> One question on polls and because the ones hosted via email seem
> potentially inconclusive and subject to distracting discussion: is there
> merit in hosting the poll using a polling service (Google Forms, Quick
> Survey [https://github.com/simonv3/quick-survey/] at lyx.org, etc.)?  In
> this way, I wonder if discussion could be separated from results.

That is interesting. How are those more inclusive? Who would participate in
those that would not participate in the mailing list poll? Perhaps the idea is
we would announce the poll on Twitter and then anyone who sees it would be able
to participate? I don't think it makes sense to do that for this particular
issue, but I personally would be interested in polling users more often on
issues (e.g., for example, I would have been interested in results on if users
use continuous spellcheck).

> > I'm not sure how relevant the following comparison is given that LyX is
> > different, but in case it is helpful for discussion:
> >
> > LibreOffice Writer, Gedit, Chromium, and Firefox automatically wrap. I'm
> > not sure any of them even has an option to not wrap or to prompt. The only
> > application I'm aware of that has wrap as an option is Vim (see config
> > "wrapscan"), although the default is to wrap.
> >

> As a vim user, this capability would feel familiar, but I have no strong
> preference one way or the other.

> However, vim keybindings in LyX would be
> a (substantially) different matter.

That would indeed be nice.

Scott