On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 03:39:33PM +0200, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> > > Recently, the major browsers stopped supporting FTP links. I don't like
> > > the change, but there's nothing I can do about it???
> > >
> > > The problem is that the LyX website still has one FTP link that could be
> > > replaced with the equivalent HTTP link, on https://www.lyx.org/Download
> > > <https://www.lyx.org/Download>.
> > >
> > > Section 8, link on " Pre-releases <ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/>"
> > >  From ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/ <ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/
> > >
> > > To http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/ <http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/>
> >
> > I did that.

Actually we better use https to lip6 as we do with other primary links,
I'll change that.

> > I do not think we can do something about it).

Yes, unless we want to move to different provider, which I would not do until
the current tires off.

> > > Also, some mirrors only have FTP links: maybe these should be indicated
> > > as such? They don't work properly in HTTP???

I reworked the links earlier this year so that https always comes first
(if available) and I continue to monitor when some provider switches from
http to https. ftp is always the last resort; I guess ftp protocol will
continue to work for some time thanks to utilities like wget or apt,
but you are right that the days of ftp are counted.

> > > Universidad de Chile
> > > UCSD
> >
> > Shall I remove them? We could get rid of all ftp references.

No, not until the provider terminates them. UCSD is unique bceause
it does not delete the old files (think of accidental rm -rf on
the ftp master); it's difficult to get additional south am. servers,
so lets keep it as well.

Pavel