Am Freitag, dem 15.10.2021 um 17:18 -0400 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
> 1. View the document (which compiles correctly), then run 'grep
> biblatex dev_mwe.tex' in the LyX buffer directory. The relevant
> output line is "\usepackage[style=authoryear]{biblatex}".
> 2. Make an arbitrary text change in the document body (anywhere), to
> force LyX to recompile. Repeat the previous step. The key line in the
> .tex file is unchanged.
> 3. In Document > Settings... > LaTeX Preamble, add a space at the end
> of the preamble and repeat the first step. The line in the .tex file
> changes to "\usepackage[style=authoryear,backend=bibtex8]{biblatex}"
> (i.e., the "backend" setting is added).

I cannot reproduce.

> This also happens if I edit the text in the \lehead{}, \rohead{},
> \refoot{} or \lofoot{} commands, or if I insert \usepackage{} in the
> preamble, or basically if I make any non-fatal change to the
> preamble.

Neither with this.

> It makes no sense to me that any of those changes would affect
> bibliography processing.

Well, here is a possible explanation:

The "bibtex8" backend is only added to the output when bibtex8 is
indeed used as a bibliography processor. But the document you sent has
\bibtex_command biber

However, maybe you do not have biber installed on your system. Then,
biber is not found by configure.py and not available as an option in
Document > Settings > Bibliography > Bibliography Processor. In such a
case, the option is reset to default (preferences). This is the only
way to assure the document compiles successfully on your system.
This happens if you do any change in document setting (preamble or
otherwise), as the bibliography processor combo does not have the biber
choice and is set to default. Check if the document has, after the
crucial change
\bibtex_command default

Now default means: Use preference settings. If you have in preferences
"Automatic" bibliography processor, LyX uses the best one available. If
biber is not available, this is bibtex8, hence the change.

Of course bibtex8 is much inferior to biber, and it can be expected
nowadays that people who use biblatex do have biber installed.

Best,
Jürgen