On 10/16/21 12:07, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 10/16/21 11:41 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Samstag, dem 16.10.2021 um 11:28 -0400 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
On Ubuntu and Mint with TeXLive, biblatex comes in one of the TeXLive
packages (texlive-latex-recommended?) but biber requires installation
of a separate package ("biber") that does not contain TeXLive in its
name. So I suspect it is not uncommon to install biblatex (via
TeXLive) and not have biber. Since biblatex still works, they may be
fine ... until someone sends them a LyX file that selects biber. LyX
changes that to "default" and the adventure begins.
This is a very bad package choice. IMHO biblatex package should require
biber. Biblatex only works to a very limited degree with bibtex8, many
styles and advanced features require biber.

You should file a bug report against them.

Actually, though, the bigger concern for me is that (before I
installed biber and reconfigured) arbitrary edits to the preamble in
such a file changed the biblatex load command that LyX put in the
.tex
file. Switching the processor from biber to default (or bibtex) when
LyX cannot find biber seems reasonable to me, but doing it somewhat
randomly is a bit too idiosyncratic for me. As I originally wrote,
just
adding a space at the end of the preamble was enough to change LyX's
behavior on my system.
As I tried to explain this is not due to preamble edits per se, but due
to doing any change in document preferences. As biber is not available,
it cannot be (re-)selected in settings. All we could do about that is
issue a warning.

I think this would be an adequate solution.

Riki