On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 2:02 PM Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 08:05:30PM +0000, José Matos wrote:
> > On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 21:16 -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > > That would be ideal, but I don't know if anyone will volunteer to do
> > > this.
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> > I can do it since this is important for lyx2lyx.
> >
> > What I do not like of the new feature is that I get examples like this:
> >
> > $ diff -u old.lyx new.lyx
> > -The paradigm is called REPL: Read, Evaluate, Print, Loop.
> > +The paradigm is called REPL:
> > + Read,
> > + Evaluate,
> > + Print,
> > + Loop.
> >
> > So in this case I had previously a sentence in a single line but now it
> > is split into four.
>
> I've noticed this also, and I agree it is not convenient in cases like
> these.
>
> > Was that the initial intent?
>
> I'm not sure. I wonder if the intent was focused on long clauses
> separated by a comma, and not focused on the case of using commas to
> separate a list of short items.

While I was uninvolved in the modifications (other than as an advocate), my
understanding of version control systems is that more lines are better and
make for more granular diffs.  I believe this is why the Python
source-formatting utility `black` tends to favor line breaks.  Thus, more
and shorter lines are in keeping with supporting version-control systems,
internal differencing, and conflict resolution.

Hope these thoughts help (and are not off base).

Thanks
Joel