On 2023-06-14 12:33, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 07:15:27AM +0200, Daniel wrote:

Dear developers,

I have decided to try to make fewer (if any) patches and rather only suggest
improvements at least for now.

This is driven by a number of personal factors. But also that I have made
the experience that most of the patches most important to me depend highly
on whether some developer finds it interesting enough to consider it
carefully, in which case I think they may be willing to implement it
themselves. There seems to be too little difference in whether and when the
suggestion gets committed.

Thanks to all of you for all your work on LyX! And good luck with the next
release!

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for all of your work on the patches. You've put an enormous time into
them, and I can understand why you're discouraged. I'm sorry I did not spend
more time reviewing them.

In order to reduce the time you spend on patches that might not be accepted, I strongly
suggest you "check in" and ask for feedback before working on a patch.

I hope you continue your involvement with LyX, in whichever way you find
productive and fun. I think you provide a valuable perspective, and I can see
by the progression of your patches over the years that you have achieved a good
knowledge and feeling of the code base.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks!

Sorry, if my message was a bit misleading. I did not try to criticize. I just wanted to state my reasons.

I fully understood the risk of creating patches without asking and the time constraints the LyX developers are working on. The "check in" part, which is probably best done on the ML, seemed tricky for me since the way I discuss and argue for ideas seemed to frustrate or trigger some people on the list too much. Again, no criticism just an incompatibility that is hard to solve without more personal contact, I guess.

Anyway, many patches that I just posted on trac were considered, not least thanks to you! And most of the patches I wanted to create anyway. I will try to create a (local!) fork with them.

I might be able to find creating patches more productive again at some future point. Maybe in a couple of years when 2.5 is around the corner. ;)

Best,
Daniel