I hadn't used the indexing tools for many (10?) years and had memories of a tedious process but having now compiled another index, the process is vastly improved -- with only one quibble: not enough built-in shortcuts.

1. The index-insert lfunction needs a shortcut.

2. Once in an index inset, pressing Return to create a subentry is exactly right, but highlights the desirability of having shortcuts for both see and see also references. (I found I inserted most of these 'in a batch' after looking at the first draft of the index.)

I assigned my own shortcuts built around ctrl+; for index-insert, ctrl+shift+; to insert see refs and ctrl+alt+; to insert see also refs (the mnemonic is Shift for See, and ALt for ALso). In fact the shortcuts were more complicated to take account of different situations (inset filled with a word or not, word selected or not, word accepatable or not), in the course of which I found myself wanting to put a command-sequence inside command-alternatives. Is this possible? (Riki? -- I see "rgh" introduced command-alternatives.)

Andrew