On 1/25/24 04:35, José Matos wrote:
On Thu, 2024-01-25 at 09:31 +0100, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
After investigating this I now know why. Capturing the generated
script in a file reveals that it is actually encoded in a 8 bit
encoding on Windows, despite the fact that the first line of the
script says it is encoded in utf-8.
Basically it comes to the difference between bytes and string. In
Python 2 they are the same.

In Python 3 the line that states that the content is utf8 is a no-op
since all code files need to be in that encoding.

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/unicode.html#the-string-type

That does make me wonder whether there are other versions of this problem. Are there other cases where we generate files in this way?

Riki