Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2001 10:31 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
> >> \/ - we should have support for this
> Jürgen> Totally agreed.
> In what context do you use it? I thought \emph took care of ithat.

I use it to produce correct ligatures/ kerning. I don't know the rules
of other countries, but in german texts, you don't use ligatures for
compound words. As LaTeX uses ligatures by default for ff, fi, fl, ffi,
ffl (which is very nice), you have to tell it this cases. It happens
often enough. Very common german examples are:

- Auf\/lage (Edition)
- auf\/fällig (conspicuous)
- Auf\/führung (performance)
- hilf\/los (helpless)
I think I could continue for hours...

Ah.. I noticed that the User Guide mentiones this too. See section 3.7.3

I think \emph has nothing to do here (?)

Jürgen.