I have thought about the proper handling of super- and subscripts and came
more or less to the conlusion that some kind of base has to be part of
the inset.

Three reasons for that:

1. I am not aware of too many situations where there is a *script on its
own in a formula (one might argue with "prepended" scripts, but that's
solvable).

2. In all most of the cases there is some kind of 'semantical tie' between
base and *script. So having the base as part of the inset, anything related
to semantics could be easier (think of export to Maple/*)

3. The implementation of drawing will be cleaner (no need to look outside
the inset to determine in which height the superscript to draw)

A reason against that:

- The uservisible behaviour will change (i.e. when moving in 'ab^c' it will
  take three right steps from the left- to the rightmost position: One to
  go behind the a, one to enter the inset (optically the same position), one
  to leave the inset.

Comments?

Andre'

--