Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Dekel> I don't think that there is something that can be asked there.
> Dekel> It is clear that these two commands have different effect.
> Dekel> However, since we need to maintain compatibility with 1.1.6, we
> Dekel> need to use \centering (or to redefine the center environment,
> Dekel> but this is not a good idea as the user might have used it in
> Dekel> ERT).
>
> Note that that also the center environment is proper markup, while
> \centering is not really. We could maybe make it different for tables,
> but I do not really like that.

\def\center{\trivlist \centering\item\relax}
\def\endcenter{\endtrivlist}
\def\centering{%
  \let\\\@centercr
  \rightskip\@flushglue\leftskip\@flushglue
  \parindent\z@\parfillskip\z@skip}

the center-environment uses itself the \centering-command!
it's common sense to use \centering instead of the center-env.
the additional vertical space in fact of the trivlist is
irritating for users who are not very familiar with this
stuff.

Herbert

--
http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/