in breakParagraph :

   1739    /* This check is necessary. Otherwise the new empty paragraph will
   1740     * be deleted automatically. And it is more friendly for the user! */
   1741    if (cursor.pos())
   1742            setCursor(bview, cursor.par()->next(), 0);
   1743    else
   1744            setCursor(bview, cursor.par(), 0);

Why do we have the check for cursor.pos() ? It works fine without, as we check
cursor.par()->size() at the start. If we change the above to always do

        setCursor(bview, cursor.par()->next(), 0);

and have :

   1664         // can't break on empty paragraphs usually
   1665         if ((cursor.par()->size() <= 0) && !layout.keepempty
   1666             && layout.labeltype != LABEL_SENSITIVE)
   1667                 return;

(after setting lyx code to KeepEmpty 1, which it should be right ?), then
you can type empty lines with lyx-code, i.e. fix a bug

Getting backspace to work properly is a bit harder ...

john

--
"Faced with the prospect of rereading this book, I would rather have
 my brains ripped out by a plastic fork."