>> Oops not so easy. I'll need another static signal in Dialogs.h
>> static bool SigC::Signal0<bool> Dialogs::tooltipsEnabled;

Allan> Why? The tooltips should have a lyxrc entry and you can toggle
Allan> based on that value instead. Otherwise someone who wants/hates
Allan> tooltips has to turn them on/off in every session!

No, because the tooltips are designed to be lengthy, helpful and
annoying when you do not need them. So it is reasonable to turn them
off by default.

BTW, we will need an icon for this toggle, since operating tooltips is
a mouse-based thing.