> | I think that lyxstring is really better for our needs than
> | std::string. The fact that STL authors try to force us to use
> | std::string is a different matter :)
>
> Because of the asserts?

How about using a std::string wrapper which contains the needed asserts?

I'm thinking of inheriting a wrapper from std::string and import that in the
global namespace rather than std::string. This way, LyX will always be using
the assert-improved string, while there will be no problems interacting with
anything, since anything that expects a std::string will get just that. This
does have the drawback that the asserts will not function while the string
is being handled by third party code. I don't know how important that is to
you.