Just for information, here are some cut down bits. The first is exported
from lyx-1.2.0-pre4, and doesn't work, the working one is below.
 restraint is increased and
secondly, the deformation zone moves away from the restrained end.\begin{figure}%
\includegraphics[  width=11.5cm,
  keepaspectratio]{fig/composite-kf0-shells}

\caption{Lowest eigenvalue buckling modes for $Z=10,\, 100$ and $1000$ cylinders
with no axial spring restraint.\label{fig-eigenmode-var-Z}}\end{figure}%
\begin{figure}%
\includegraphics[  width=11cm,
  keepaspectratio]{fig/composite-kfVar-z100-shells}

\caption{Buckling modes for a $Z=100$ shell as axial restraint is
increased.\label{fig-eigenmode-var-kf-z100}}\end{figure}%

Buckling loads are shown in Figure \ref{gph-Graphs-comparing-buckling},
plotted against both dimensional and nondimensional axial spring stiffness.
It may be seen that, apart from the $Z=10$ shell, the results are...

While this works