Hello Ananda,

AMRS> I am interested in developing support for Kannada language (a South
AMRS> Indian language) in LyX. Can anybody give me the hint regarding where to
AMRS> start?

First, you'll need to get Kannada working in LaTeX, as LyX uses LaTeX
for its paper output. The best solution would IMHO be Omega (a
Unicode-enabled flavour of LaTeX), as there has been some work on
major Indian scripts in Omega already. I'm not sure about Kannada, but
Malayalam and Devanagari have been worked on.

As soon as you've got a working version of LaTeX or Omega with Unicode
Kannada support (which may or may not be possible with today's
LaTeX packages), you'll need to get the following to work:

 * LyX & Unicode (this is in the queue AFAIK, but others on the list
   know better) (LyX uses 8-bit characters internally; there is
   CJK-LyX that has some support for multibyte characters, but it's
   not capable of doing the ligature combination and character
   reordering needed for Indic scripts)
 * A GTK2 interface for LyX (there is a Gnome interface already in the
   works, they'd probably appreciate any help; however, it'd have to
   be GTK2-based)

As soon as this is in place, LyX will probably be intelligent enough
to handle Kannada, and as a side effect, it'll handle next to all
other Indian scripts as well. (Actually, at that point, it would
handle most existing scripts, Indian or not, as long as there is LaTeX
support for it)

For the others: Kannada is a South Indian script; it falls into the
general category of Indic scripts, which are characterized by the
following features:

 * No 1:1 relation between character string and visual output, a bit
 like Arabic, but worse
 * Characters that appear in sequence XY in the input string may
 appear differently ordered (as YX) in the output string; however,
 character string order must be maintained for searching, sorting,
 indexing etc.
 * There is a rich set of ligatures (presentation forms for various
 sequences of characters)

Practically the only display engine capable of handling Indic scripts
on Unix is Pango (http://www.pango.org), upon which GTK2 is based.

Cheers -
  Philipp Reichmuth                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Seeing my great fault / Through darkening blue windows / I begin again