Michael Schmitt wrote:

Hello,

I encountered two ugly problems with LyX 1.4:

 MAJOR ISSUE: The layout styles (title, author, section, subsection, etc.) are
no longer shown in the pull-down menu on the left of the LyX window; it is
blank now.
Doesn't happen for me on linux. Is your document a valid document type (article, or book, or ...)?

Try starting lyx from cmd.exe.  There is probably a lot of textual
output - any error messages in there?

Did anything go wrong during installation? If so - reinstall or fix it.

 Minor Issue: Load "Extended.lyx" and try to scroll down by pointing at the
arrow at the right bottom. Scrolling stopps after about on screen page.

The scrollbar doesn't work too well on linux either. It gets in trouble when there are lots of large things in the document (big floats, big images, big tables, . . . ) Using the arrow keys helps when the scrollbar mistakenly thinks it is at the bottom "too early".

It has been a while, but I have seen the arrow keys get stuck because "down arrow" wasn't supported in some special inset. I have no idea if the problem exists still, if it does - use right arrow to exit the inset or click lower in the document before trying down again.
Could you please confirm that these bugs are not related to Windows?
The first one was certainly new to me, the other one not so.
Helge Hafting