Angus Leeming wrote:
>> Angus, exactly what information are you trying to pull out from the
>> machine? Maybe there is another way to get at it, which is more
>> portable.
>
> Asger, I posted some code based on you sample to William and to Luis
> late last night. I don't know whether they've replied to that post
> yet (can't access home email from work ATM). However, this is all
> I'm really interested in:
>
>     char path[PATH_MAX + 1];
>     SHGetFolderPath(0, CSIDL_PERSONAL, 0, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, path);
> C:\Documents and Settings\Angus\My Documents
>
>     char path[PATH_MAX + 1];
>     SHGetFolderPath(0, CSIDL_APPDATA, 0, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, path);
> C:\Documents and Settings\Angus\Application Data
>
>     char path[PATH_MAX + 1];
>     GetTempPath(PATH_MAX, path);
>     GetLongPathName(path, path, PATH_MAX + 1);
> C:\Documents and Settings\Angus\Local Data\Temp

According to Microsoft, Asger's solution should "just work" on all
flavours of Windows >= Win95.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnw2kcli/html/W2Kcli_chapter4.asp
Equivalent URL: http://tinyurl.com/bot2g

Indeed, this page
    http://www.thescarms.com/vbasic/specialfolders.asp
also provides a fully-redistributable shfolder.dll (22kB). So, I think
that we should be able to use Asger's code and add a comment to the
wiki for Win98 users.

--
Angus